The small town of Comstock is located at the junction of US Highway 90 and State Highway 163. Although Native Americans lived in the area for at least 8,000 years, modern settlement didn't begin here until the early 1880's.
In 1882 and 1883, the Galveston, Harrisburg and San Antonio Railway built a line along the Rio Grande river and the town of Comstock arose around the railway station. Named for John B. Comstock, a railroad dispatcher, the town grew slowly. Originally called Sotol City, the station was actually a few miles east of the present site. It was moved to its current location to take advantage of the waters in a nearby natural lake.
By 1888, the town had been granted a U.S. post office and a general store had opened. Population has varied through the years, ranging as high as 375. The community has a small, but successful school and much of the economy now centers around the U.S. Border Patrol station.
It is the closest town to the Seminole Canyon State Park & Historic Site and the famous Fate Bell Shelter.